Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Montauk Lighthouse

On April 9 we went to Montauk.  Montauk is THE end of Long Island. Once you get about a half hour or so away from our town on the southern parkway it becomes really quite pretty. As you get even farther out, (it was about a 2hour drive) it reminds me of some of the more pretty, rural parts of Central Florida. We played at a playground there and then went into the museum which is part of the lighthouse tour. I first went up to the top with Cliffton and then Richard went up with Cliffton (he was JUST tall enough to go up). I found it fascinating that the powerful light shining from the lighthouse is from a tiny bulb. About the size of a ping pong ball. You can see the light from about 19 miles away.  That's the horizon line or something like that, I was told by the guide at the top of the tower.  She was cute - said she felt kind of like Rapunzel up in her tower.  :)  Montauk and Fire Island are both still in operation.   I got a shot glass from there!  If you ever see a really cool shot glass, think of me!  I love to collect them.  So does Susie, my twin sis.  So does Richard's brother Matt.  But don't think of them, at least not first.















2 comments:

Darrell and Loretta Stacey said...

What a fun outing! I love the pics of the family! Thanks, thanks, thanks for posting. I was in need of a New York Stacey picture feast!

StephenEmily Stacey said...

Very very cool pictures. I love lighthouses!

About Us