Thursday, April 4, 2013

My tough mudder training

Even though I signed up for the Boston Tough Mudder last year, somewhere around August, I didn't start the bootcamp that's listed on their website until February.  Even then, I didn't push myself really hard until March.  To be fair, I didn't want to start training until after I had recovered from my half marathon in October and it was kinda rough.  I really, really wanted to be faster than my first half marathon time back in 2006.  I was!  By about 20 minutes.  :)  Enough bragging!  Things got a little crazy with the hurricane and with the holidays.  So, I was weak and didn't stay steady through the end of fall/winter.
 Man, this training has been hard!  There are 3 levels listed in the site and I chose the mid level one (good for people who exercise regularly but haven't pushed themselves too hard before).  Its rough!!!  Some types are easier, but overall, its still hard.  And I wanted to bump it to the next level right around this time, the beginning of April.  :/  Probably not going to happen for at least another 2 weeks, maybe. Basically, I do the bootcamp 3X/week sometimes just twice and then I run about 3X/week.  Sometimes I do pilates or Billy Blanks Bootcamp instead of the TM bootcamp. I think its good to have just cardio on one day and then do circuits then next.  I finally have started doing some monkey bars.  That must be rather funny to see if you're a bystander.  "What the heck is she doing - oh, trying to be a kid.  Hmmm....good luck with that lady."
 After reading a lot of what other participants have written I think I need to do:  sprints, run thru some cold water/mud, work on shoulder/back more and do trail runs.  I plan to run through Jones beach, into the water and quickly up the dunes but still....its cold!!!  The days are still around 40 so you know the water, is, well, semi-polar.  I've got a pretty good distance right now - most recent run was 6.27 and I plan to hit at least 8 before tapering. The total distance of TM is 10-12 approx.  I need to do some hill work or trail runs.  I've done some runs in this park & preserve by our home.  Its been good on my knees.  The base is about 1.5 miles and there are several trails going up to the top, approx. 115 feet high.  Its a neat place - a converted landfill.  Go figure - its one of the nicest areas around to feel like you're getting away from the noise and traffic.  There are some really cute Nigerian dwarf goats and some quail too.  Highly recommend going there if you're on LI or around NYC.
One exercise, log bog bombers (er, something like that), is a "burpee."  You start in a squat, with your hands touching or close to touching the ground, kick your legs out to plank (the 'start' position of a push up) then jump up.  Do that as fast as you can for 2 minutes.  Yeah.  I can get around 1:15 before I'm soooo dead.  Its similar to Billy blank's squat thrusts but you jump instead of doing a pushup.  Another hard one is everest:  get in plank but you put each foot on towels (if you're on hardwood floor) or paper sheets (if you're on carpet) and then quickly bring each foot up towards your chest.  Fast for 2 minutes.  I may not be describing it well, but those two exercises are hard.  Full push ups for one minute are tough too!  Its where your chest touches the floor.    I think my max is 12 full pushups without a break and then I usually do 10-12 pushups from my knees.  I can kind of do a chin up.  I just need a little acceleration to help me up!  Starting every chin up from a full hang??  Nope.  Probably never will.  But with a little help....I can do wonders!
Well, its been a rather rough month of workouts but I'm happy to be getting in good shape.  If only I could eat carefully too.  Still, you need your energy, right??!  I just hope that my left wrist wont give out during that final week or during the event.  It sometimes give me real pain and I don't really know why.  Any thoughts?  I think its similar to carpal tunnel but not too sure.
Richard's been really supportive.  I'm so happy to have him in my life.  :)  Sometimes we work out together and enjoy kickin' butt as a couple!!



2 comments:

Darrell and Loretta Stacey said...

From Loretta: I was tired just reading what you do. Good luck Janelle!!

Michelle said...

You rock Janelle! I hope to start getting back into shape, but know it is a LONG way off from what you are doing!

About Us