Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Survival Race

I have wanted to do a mud run since I first heard about them two years ago while we were living in Midway, UT.  The first one was going to be in Soldier Hollow about 3 weeks after our move to NY.  I've heard of a couple in NY but none that were very close to us on LI (Long Island).  I finally just signed up for one because 1) I really wanted to!  2) I got a 50% off discount on zozi.com  3) zozi just happened to send a $25 off online coupon so I was able to spend just $5 for an event that's around $60.  No way could I pass that up!  So, the saturday before Mother's Day I tried to get outta here around 6:10 for my 9am wave in New Windsor, not quite 2 hours away.  Of course I had trouble with the tires and the pump that morning  :/  But it all worked out and I was on my way by 7.

 I got there with maybe 10 minutes to spare so I grabbed my bib # and shirt, threw the shirt back in the car and got back up the hill as the countdown was going on.  I had fun!  The start was really pretty slow because there wasn't much room but it was fun to go through the mud and to crawl, climb and wade through the other obstacles.  Definitely something I wanna do again!  However, I lost my car key in the race.  I was soooooooooo frustrated.  I called Richard and spoke to several people at the race and I prayed.  Nearly 3 hours later, someone found it.  Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!  Its amazing they found it because it was just a single key I had zipped up in a pocket.  I do NOT ever want to repeat that stress again.  I'm checking my gear in next time.  I had not heard of that/done that before.  Now I know.  :)

I decided to get a picture of me from the photographers.  This was just after a water crossing so I don't look terribly muddy. 
I"m thinking I need to start a new "muddy mothers day" weekend tradition.  :)  Its at least as much fun as a day at the spa - & much more affordable.

2 comments:

Stephen Stacey said...

Cool! :) There have been some sort of close to places we've lived, but I've never done one. That looks really fun. Losing your key sounds super stressful, especially since you were so far away and running through mud! Glad you came out OK.

StephenEmily Stacey said...

That is so awesome! And I totally want to do it. Happy Muddy Mother's Day:)

About Us