Sunday, September 5, 2010

Update

Hi Everyone!
We have had quite a change over the last month as we packed up and moved to New York. We've been staying with a very kind family in Malverne on Long Island. The husband is the branch president (local religious leader, basically) in Freeport where we've been attending church and hope to very soon live. We're awaiting an interview to see if we we are approved in person for a coop. apt. complex in Freeport and we're also trying to rent a home in Freeport, which ever works first. We've seen numerous apartments but finding one isn't really the problem. It's been awaiting loan $ and trying to find landlords who so often don't want to rent to families with kids (but legally can't discriminate against that). We've had a hard time finding people who will work with a law student's family who'll be living off of loans for at least a year. Its been tough. NY is tough. But they are some definite sweethearts out here who amaze me with their generosity and love.
Richard is some 2 weeks into classes or so plus his orientation which was rather intense. He is enjoying it, for the most part (who actually enjoys every day of school? If you're raising your hand and saying "me", you should be locked away ;) ). I think he's happy to be learning all about the law and to be doing something that he's desired for quite some time now. I often tell him to kick some law school butt as I drop him off and you know? I believe he does.
I took the kiddos to Jones Beach Thursday. We stayed in a little "creek" just prior to the actual beach which was great for kids. The waves along the shore were huge! They would've knocked me down. Hurricane Earl is supposed to pass close by Friday night but we should only be hit by tropical storm winds and not the actual hurricane. However the waves are getting bigger. I loved the water but I had forgotten how utterly sandy eveything can get that you take to the beach! Especially when you carry not just one but 2 kids across some sections of the beach and then get right down in the sand with them. Cliffton loved to throw the sand at me at first and then I made sure he knew that he could put sand on my legs and not throw it. Violet loved to find trash of course. Seriously, New Yorkers should love us to death because we so often leave parks and beaches cleaner than when we arrived. I am always saying "Violet don't eat that" or "No Violet that's trash; lets throw it away." She's a handful. You either need a lot of energy to chase after her constantly or just pick your battles (and messes) to deal with.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

SO fun! I can't believe how far away you're living now! Your kids are darling and I'm so excited for you and all of your new adventures! You ARE adventurous taking two kids out to a beach in NY! Miss you!

Davianne said...

I still can't believe you guys are in NY. That's crazy!! Hope things are going well there. Can't wait to see you again. Good thing for blogs and fb, right?

About Us